Stork Rewards Program FAQs
- What is the Stork Rewards program?
- The NC HealthSmart Stork Rewards program is an incentive program to encourage pregnant members or covered spouses to use maternity coaching throughout their pregnancy to promote healthy pregnancies and babies. Members who complete the program will not be charged their inpatient hospital copayment at the time of delivery, which is $233 for those on the Enhanced 80/20 plan and $291 for those enrolled in the Traditional 70/30 plan. Members in the Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP) will have $250 added to their health reimbursement account (HRA) for completing the program. Members who deliver at a Blue Options Designated Hospital will receive additional savings.
Your Stork Rewards incentive will be different depending on your health plan. Please see the table below for the incentive based on your plan.
Click here for a list of Blue Options Designated Hospitals.
||Stork Reward Incentive
||Blue Options Hospital Benefit
|Enhanced 80/20 Plan
||$233 hospital copay not applied
|Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP)
||$250 added to HRA
||$50 added to HRA
|Traditional 70/30 Plan
||$291 hospital copay not applied
- Who is eligible to enroll in the program?
- The Stork Rewards program is open to newly pregnant members and covered spouses 18 years of age or older (dependent children are not eligible). The program is part of the NC HealthSmart health and wellness resources. Members eligible for NC HealthSmart resources are members whose primary health coverage is through the State Health Plan.
Members must enroll in their first trimester (up to the 13th week of pregnancy). Exceptions will only be considered up to the 20th week of pregnancy to members who are declared to have a moderate or high risk pregnancy during their initial assessment with a maternity nurse. No exceptions will be granted beyond the 20th week of pregnancy.
- How do I participate and receive the incentive?
- To qualify, you must call an NC HealthSmart maternity coach at 800-817-7044 to complete an initial assessment during your first trimester or before your 20th week of pregnancy if you are determined to have a moderate or high risk pregnancy. To remain eligible for the incentive, you must complete one action item, as determined by your maternity coach, during each trimester following enrollment in the program. For moderate and high risk members who enrolled between their 13th and 20th week of pregnancy, you must complete a minimum of two action items in the second trimester and one action item in your third trimester.
- How will I know I'm enrolled in the program?
- You will receive a letter from your maternity coach after your initial conversation welcoming you to the Stork Rewards program.
- What else does the program offer?
- Stork Rewards program participants will receive a Baby and Me book to guide them through their pregnancy and give them tips on newborn care. They will also have access to numerous maternity resources available on their Personal Health Portal, such as articles to read, videos to watch, and audio files to listen to on a variety of topics from breast feeding to postpartum depression.
- What does a maternity coach do?
- Maternity coaches, together with the pregnant member, create individualized plans for the duration of their pregnancy. Maternity coaches also help pregnant members understand all the information given to them throughout their pregnancy. Maternity supports are available on the Personal Health Portal, through the mail, and over the phone, at 800-817-7044 on Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 11 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- When are maternity coaches available?
- Maternity coaches are available by phone at 800-817-7044
on Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 11 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- What happens if I miss an action step with my maternity coach?
- If you miss an action step within a trimester, you will receive a call and a letter informing you that you have two weeks to fulfill that requirement. If you do not fulfill that requirement within two weeks, you may no longer qualify for the incentive. However, you may continue to work with a maternity coach and use the resources on the Personal Health Portal.
- If I receive the Stork Rewards incentive, how will it appear on my bill or Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statement?
- It will not appear on your bill. Your explanation of benefits (EOB) will state that a copayment was not needed. Should your EOB reflect a copayment charge, contact Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) Customer Service at 888-234-2416 and a representative will address the matter for you.
- What is a Blue Options Designated Hospital?
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) sets hospital criteria for delivering quality health outcomes, cost effectiveness, and accessibility to Plan members. The Blue Options Designation criteria are set by BCBSNC and not by the State Health Plan. The Blue Options Designated hospitals change annually. Hospitals are added and removed each year when they meet or fail to meet the criteria.
Members who deliver at a Blue Options Designated Hospital, regardless of enrollment in the Stork Rewards program, will receive additional savings depending on their health plan.
Explore NC HealthSmart
- Hot Links
- General Links