North Carolina Health Statistics
According to the 2009 N.C. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, regarding North Carolinians:
- 30 percent of N.C. adults are obese (reporting a height and weight that equal a Body Mass Index ≥30).
- 79 percent do not eat the recommended five or more servings of fruits or vegetables per day.
- Nearly 54 percent do not meet the physical activity recommendation of 30 or more minutes of moderate activity per day, five or more days per week or 20 or more minutes per day, three or more days per week.
- 40 percent report some physical activity, but do not meet the recommendations; 13 percent report being physically inactive.
- 20 percent are current smokers.
- Nearly 32 percent have been diagnosed as having high blood pressure.
According to 2010 State Health Plan Member Profile Data, regarding members:
- The average age of State Health Plan membership is 38.8 years (including spouses and dependents).
- 62 percent are female.
- Nearly 31 percent are living with a chronic condition, such as asthma or diabetes.
- Nearly 8 percent (over 40,000) members are living with diabetes.
- 25 percent have been diagnosed with high blood pressure.
- 15 percent of adult members are smokers.
Members eligible for NC HealthSmart services are members whose primary health coverage is through the State Health Plan. Federal law prohibits the Plan from using your personal health information to discriminate against you in any way or from giving this information to your employing agency/school or other unauthorized third party, unless required by law.